Reds U18 slump to defeat

Posted by liverweb on August 30, 2009, 07:13:17 PM

Liverpool U18 0 Leicester City U18 3

The Reds slumped to a three goal defeat at home to Leicester and a wet and blustery afternoon at the academy. The thankful thing for the Reds is that it was only three nil as well as they were outplayed by a Leicester side which looked older and bigger in every department.

Leicester got the game started heading away from the academy and in to the wind. I'd forgotten just how windy it gets down there. With just five minutes on the clock physio Dave Galley was on attending Lauri Dalla Valle who took the ball full in his face as he tried to get on to a loose one. He was up after a while though.

It was a mixed start as both sides looked to get the upper hand. Leicester to me looked like an U18 side compared to an U17 side for the Reds. Just short of the twenty minute mark and Leicester could have taken the lead and only they will know how they didn't when the Reds defence was carved open but somehow they skewed the ball wide with the net wide open.

Leicester were really starting to play the better football now and most of the game was played in the Reds half. Yussuf looked dangerous up front for Leicester and he forced Oldfield in to a couple of saves.

On the half hour Leicester hit the post through Norburn and then Chamberlain had his shot saved. The Reds didn't take note of the opposition dominance though and were a goal down five minutes later.

Oldfield half cleared with a punch but as it dropped on the edge of the area City lobbed it back goalwards and with Oldfield going up with a couple of Reds and a Leicester player the ball flew in tot he net and Oldfield didn't get back up. The goal was given and Leicester celebrated as a stretcher was called for the keeper. Liam Jacob, fresh from the reserves in midweek took his place in the Reds goal. Oldfield managed to get off the stretcher later but was taken back on the buggy and limped in tot he dressing room with an ice patch on his knee.

Just before half time Chamberlain should've scored when he lifted the ball over Jacob but it hit the post and rolled across the goal where Wisdom cleared it. Leicester were cheering a goal when they realised it hadn't actually gone in.

Half time saw another downpour but at least you could take cover and get a cup of tea.

The Reds made a switch at half time with Stephen Sama replacing Adam Dawson. Sama went in to the centre back with captain Conor Coady going to midfield and Alex Cooper went to the left of midfield.

Just eleven minutes in to the second half and Bolger gave the visitors a second goal. He rose superbly well to power home with his head. It wasn't exactly under pressure which should worry the Reds back line but it was really an uphill struggle now. Yussuf went close with a shot minutes later as City really started to dominate.

Up front the Reds were isolated and nothing was sticking at all when, on the rare occasion it was hit up there. Adorjan was awful with Dalla Valle isolated completely.

Conor Coady picked up a yellow card on sixty one minutes when he brought his man down, although he did win the ball. However Coady came from behind and left the ground to get the ball. Shortly after the Reds made their final switch when Jack Robinson replaced Matty McGiveron.

A second card came when Alex Cooper was booked for persistent fouls - based on the ref pointing to numerous places around the pitch. He had at least run around trying to get the Reds in to the game.

Leicester fired their third goal on seventy five minutes. Stephen Sama conceded a free kick as he slipped over on the edge of the box which made him look rather clumsy. Leicester pulled the free kick back to the edge of the area where Chamberlain amongst a couple of free men picked it up and smashed it home.

A couple of minutes later and Jacob was off his line well to save a ball as Chamberlain looked get through on goal. Jacob saved the ball with his face ultimately and he was really dazed by it and ultimately fell over after the ball was cleared. Thankfully though after treatment he was able to carry on - which was just as well given that there were no more subs left.

As the clock ticked on Leicester made use of their four man bench by making three changes in all. For the Reds though the final whistle couldn't come quickly enough and by the time it did they were playing with ten men after Dalla Valle limped off. It didn't affect much as he'd been starved of the ball all day anyway.

Overall this was really disappointing to watch it has to be said and if I were a scout watching this as a neutral I'd be struggling to make anything for the Red players. Taking in to account what I've seen of players before Andre Wisdom looks like he's definitely one to make the step up when the time comes and Conor Coady has a chance if he sticks to his game. Worryingly Ince seems to be going backwards a little for me given his billing and Dalla Valle looks like he might get a little lost in games through not working enough. Of the rest many have time on their hands such as Dawson and Roddan so only time will tell there really.

MotM : Andre Wisdom - looks a real rock at the back and reads the game well and certainly has more to him than this showing where he was left very exposed by a weak midfield.

Liverpool    Oldfield (Jacob 35), Flnanagan, McGiveron (Robinson 63), Wisdom, Coady (c), Roddan, Dawson (Sama 45), Cooper, Dalla Valle, Adorjan, Ince

Unused Subs    Ihikwe, Giglio

Leicester City    Ambrusics, Norburn (Byrne 86), Taft, Milnes, Bolger, Parkes (c), Jorrin, King, Chamberlain, Yussuf (Tebbutt 84), Schlupp (Hogan 87)

Unused Subs    Brown

Goal    ?, Bolger, Chamberlain

Referee    R J Jones

Copyright : Liverweb 2009

View Comments | Post Comment