Reds reserves draw mini derby

Posted by liverweb on February 18, 2009, 11:19:38 AM

Everton 1 Liverpool 1

The Reds reserves shared the points away at Everton last night but did put in a performance tat was better than of late. A bizarre goal for Everton was quickly cancelled out by an own goal in the first half which ultimately cancelled out the scoring.

Everton got the game started at the Halton stadium but it was the Reds who settled quickest. After just two minutes the Reds should have taken the lead. Pacheco ran at the Everton line, played a one two with Bruna and then squared the return across the box. Victor Palsson struck across the keeper only to see his effort cleared off the line.

The Reds played some neat football in this one and were unlucky not to get any reward early on for it. On eight minutes Pacheco saw his shot blocked after a lovely move through the middle. As the ball fell again Simon struck on goal but his shot was easily saved by Nash.

Jay Spearing shot over with a volley after chesting down on twelve minutes as the Reds continued to press forward.

At the other end Martin Hansen in the Reds goal was forced to clear a cross at the second attempt as Everton tried to impress.

On twenty minutes Simon couldn't generate enough power on a header after he was found un-marked in the box by Pacheco. Pacheco was at the heart of most attacking things for the Reds. He went down injured on twenty six minutes after a strong but fair challenge. He clearly thought otherwise and went in unfairly a minute later to try and win a ball. Both the ref and Spearing had to get him to cool down.

The physio hadn't got back around the pitch for the Reds when he was called back on again. Mendy fell awkwardly and the ref held play up so he could get treatment.

This is where the bizarre opening goal came. Mendy went to the side to wait to get back on and the ref dropped the ball for Craig to hit back to the Reds keeper. Craig hit the ball back to Hansen but somehow the ball bounced through his legs and in to the goal. The players all stopped and waited to see if the goal would stand. Clearly the goal had to stand and Hansen was left to wonder just what happened.

On thirty three minutes Coleman went through on Bruna and although he got the ball he clearly took Bruna as well and the ref pulled the yellow card out.

From the free kick Pacheco whipped a ball to the near post and Akpan managed to head the ball behind him and into the back of the net to square the scores up.

The first half then seemed to calm down a little and the nearest we had to a goal was when Mendy struck wide from distance. If anything I think all the players were still in shock at the first goals.

The Reds got the game re started again and just three minutes in to the half Pacheco sent a shot across goal and wide. It was a decent effort though.

On fifty minutes Everton hit the side netting with a shot after Hansen and Mendy put their man under pressure. Four minutes later and McCarten powered a header on goal from a corner but the one part of the goal he didn't want to pick was the keeper and Hansen pushed the ball up and it was then cleared.

Victor Palsson picked up a booking on sixty one minutes when he was late on his man in midfield.

The Reds sent on Vincent Weijl for Victor Palsson after seventy one minutes and the home side sent on Agard up front in place of Craig.

A couple of minutes later and Mendy picked up a booking which seems to be getting quite standard for him these days. The free kick that came in was played on to Powell at the back post but his shot on goal was well saved by Hansen in the Reds goal and Spearing completed the clearance.

Hansen got away with a rushed clearance on seventy five minutes which he raced out for and then hit high in to the sky. He seemed to panic a little as he raced out and then realised he shouldn't have bothered as both centre backs were behind the ball.

Barnett picked up a book on on eighty four minutes when he needlessly pulled Bruna over after the youngster had actually lost control of the ball. The free kick came in and Simon headed over the bar with a difficult header.

The Reds nearly snatched it late on when Pacheco dug out a shot just inside the area but Nash saved at full stretch and then grabbed the ball just before Bruna could get in on it.

At the other end though Everton had a glorious chance to win it as Powell beat Hansen only to see his shot fly back off the bar.

Vitor Flora replaced Gerardo Bruna for the final minute and although Irving nearly scored a bizarre goal in the final minute the ref blew for time.

Overall it was a decent game and a draw was probably fair overall.

MotM : Dani Pacheco - was at the heart of everything attacking for the Reds and seemed to really enjoy the free role he seemed to have to create things.

Liverpool    Hansen, Mendy, Darby (c), San Jose, Kelly, Plessis, Palsson (Weijl 71), Spearing, Simon, Pacheco, Bruna (Flora 89)

Unused Subs    Bouzanis, Huth, Irwin

Goal    OG - Akpan (34)

Everton    Nash, Coleman, Barnett, Wallace, Irving (c), McCarten, Powell, Akpan, Spencer, O'Kane, Craig (Agard 71)

Unused Subs    Stubhaug, Duffy, McAleny, Kinsella

Goal    Craig (29)

Referee    J G Adcock

Venue    Halton Stadium

copyright : Liverweb 2009

View Comments | Post Comment