Liverpool Reserves return to winning ways

Posted by liverweb on November 19, 2008, 09:17:52 AM

Liverpool 1 Wigan Athletic 0

The Reds reserves got back to winning ways and after a dull first half took control of the second half to secure a one nil win.

Wigan got the game started at a very empty Halliwell Jones stadium on a cold night. It was the visitor's who started the better side and certainly pushed forward.

On eight minutes Bouzanis stood up well to save a shot from Mahon who was through. On ten minutes Pacheco was just eased away from the Ball as Brouwer attempted to play him clean through. Bruna won the ball back and set Jay Spearing for a shot but this went well over the bar.

Wigan started quite well in the game and with playing one man up front generally the visitors dominated midfield with an extra man.

The Reds were struggling to get going in the game which left chances at a premium for them. Midway through the half Bruna curled a free kick just over the bar although the Wigan keeper was right underneath it.

Wigan went to the other end on the attack and forced Bouzanis to save low at his near post.

On twenty six minutes Vincent Weijl collected a ball on the far left and cut inside before sending a shot just wide of the near post courtesy of a deflection. Bruna then shot over as the corner was only half cleared.

A couple of minutes later and a decent Reds move saw Spearing pick out Darby bombing forward and his cross in to the centre was just too close to the keeper as Brouwer pressed for the finish.

On thirty three minutes the Reds should have opened the scoring. Weijl attacked the right back and managed to beat him for pace. He sent in a great cross and Brouwer was unmarked six yards out but sent a woeful header straight at Pollitt with very little pace. Typical Brouwer if you ask me.

The game just seemed to drag overall though with neither side taking the game by the scruff of the neck and injecting pace to the proceedings. From a Reds point of view the biggest problems were first touch by some players and then over playing the ball. That said all too often the ball needed to be held up because the idea of having anyone in the box seemed an alien idea. So after just one extra minute at the end of the first forty five minutes the ref blew up and the cup of tea was calling to heat everyone up.

The Reds sent on Daniel Ayala at half time in place of Stephen Darby which seemed to be a late decision as Ayala had trained all through the break and was still in his coat and stuff when the sides were out ready for action.

Hampson should have scored in the first minute of the half when the Reds lost possession in the midfield and Hampson was sent clean through but hit the side netting. At he other end Weijl sent a shot which looped over the bar after Field got back to block his shot.

On forty eight minutes Bruna hit the side netting with a shot from a loose ball after Brouwer was tackled on the edge of the box. It was a better start for the Reds in the half and Weijl beat his man on fifty minutes and raced to the box but his shot seemed too obvious and the defender managed to block it for a corner.

On fifty three minutes Weijl put in a really teasing cross but Pollitt got to it just before Brouwer and the chance went but it was looking better now with the Reds pushing the midfield higher up the pitch and hence controlling the game.

On fifty four minutes Insua stepped up well and sent a shot fizzing over the bar although the keeper probably had it covered.

Martin Kelly was back superbly on fifty seven minutes as Wigan had a rare attack in the half but just as the shot came in Kelly flung himself in front of the shot and deflected it away to safety.

At the other end Brouwer and Pacheco linked up with the young Spaniard flying in to the box past his man and cutting it back but Brouwer couldn't get enough on the ball and the ball was hammered over by Spearing.

On sixty four minutes the Reds made a change as Francisco Duran replaced Gerardo Bruna. Just a minute later and the Reds took the lead through Pacheco. Weijl put in a great cross to the near post which Brouwer just missed and as the ball fell to Pacheco he shimmied away from his man and then blasted in to the top corner. On the second half performance the Reds deserved the victory.

On sixty eight minutes Plessis sent Brouwer down the inside right and he forced the keeper in to a smart save with little else there as an option for the Reds striker.

The Reds made a final change on seventy three minutes when Andras Simon replaced Jordy Brouwer up front. Wigan replaced Mahon with Breeze at the same break in play.

On seventy eight minutes Weijl was sent through the inside left channel and he got his head down and raced to the area before forcing Pollitt in to a save at his post when a square ball to Pacheco was the better option. The two players certainly seemed to have words as they went to look for the corner to be taken.

On eighty one minutes Weijl was again found well down the inside left channel and again a square ball was on, this time for Simon but once again Weijl took on the shot and once again it was deflected away for a corner. You couldn't knock the lad for trying to score but sometimes you need to play the easier ball in.

On eighty five minutes the Reds were given a two on one situation as Simon and Pacheco went through with just one defender left to beat. Simon tried to play Pacheco in but his ball was slow and poor so the Spaniard played it back to Simon but under pressure he stabbed his shot at Pollitt who pushed it away for a corner.

In the second minute of stoppage time Jay Spearing went really close to scoring a second for the Reds when his shot went just wide of the far post. The final whistle blew and overall the Reds probably deserved the win for their overall play especially in the second half when they dominated the midfield.

MotM : Vincent Weijl - played really well and always looked to get at his man although was at times probably guilty of being a little too greedy. Martin Kelly was also in really good form for the Reds at both centre back in the first half and right back in the second half.

Liverpool    Bouzanis, Darby (c) (Ayala 45), Insua, San Jose, Kelly, Plessis, Bruna (Duran 64), Spearing, Brouwer (Simon 73), Pacheco, Weijl

Unused Subs    Gulacsi, Irwin

Goal    Pacheco (65)

Wigan Athletic    Pollitt, Field (McManaman 79), Buxton, Routledge (c), Perason, Ashworth, Mahon (Breeze 73), Hampson, Cywka, Holt, Kupisz

Unused Subs    Gracey, Barrie, Chiocchi

Referee    S J Martin

Venue    Halliwell Jones

copyright : Liverweb 2008

View Comments | Post Comment