U17's draw 2 each with Blades

Posted by liverweb on March 8, 2004, 01:50:06 PM

Liverweb Academy U17s Match Report: Liverpool 2 Sheffield United 2

Liverpool: Lancaster, Woods, Threlfall, Peltier(capt.), Holmes, Kelly, Townley, Ryan, Hamill, Platt, Burns

Subs Used: Barnett for Burns (71)
Subs Unused: Putterill, Roberts (GK), Spearing, Pringle

The Reds came in to this game in form after last weeks win over Crewe by five goals to nil. The Reds got the game underway attacking the gym end of the ground. In the first minute of play Adam Hammill went close to creating an opening for the Reds. He made a great step over and pushed the ball wide to Burns but his cross was cut out. Phil Townley had the first real shot on goal after nine minutes but it was all too easy for the keeper. The Reds started quite well but the size of the opposition was likely to play a part in the game. Every one of the Sheffield players were tall and well built.

Match Photos: http://www.liverweb.org.uk/acad6mar.htm

With ten minutes played the Reds were inches away from going behind. Calum Woods cleared off the line superbly well as Reet went round Lancaster in the box. The first clearance was great but Woods then got straight back up and stopped the rebound as well. Two minutes later and Woods was at the other end heading a free kick just past the far post. Sheffield were forced in to an early substitution when Kerry replaced Cockerill.

On twenty six minutes play the Reds took the lead in the match. Townley won the ball in midfield and played the ball to Platt in a god position. Platt then played a one two with Townley. Platt got the ball back just inside the area and side stepped the last man before slotting home past the keeper. 

Two minutes after the Reds took the lead they went mighty close to doubling it as Joxer hit a shot from the right side of the six yard box across goal but also past the far post. The visitors equalised on thirty two minutes as Reet turned Peltier superbly well and slotted home past Lancaster before he could get out.

The goal gave the away side huge confidence and they took the lead just two minutes later. The Reds conceded a free kick on their left of midfield. It was swung in magnificently well and Cresswell headed home. The goal was given but the assistant raised his flag. After an age of he ref getting to his assistant and then the chat between them the goal stood but the referee decided to have words with Joxer over something.

It as Kelly who went close on thirty eight minutes to an equaliser as he shot across goal yet again. This time it followed a Townley shot which was blocked out. Two minutes later and Conal Platt shot over the bar after he turned well inside the area. With a couple of added minutes played the referee ended the first half with the Reds behind.

Both sides came out unchanged in the second half. The second half wasn't the greatest in terms of chances though to be fair. The away side dominated the possession for long periods of time without actually doing much with it. The Reds did equalise on fifty eight minutes though through leading scorer John Paul Kelly. Townley passed the ball to Platt on the edge of the box and his shot on goal was parried by the keeper. Kelly raced in and smashed the ball home.

It was the away side who had the better of the game after the equaliser and went close on sixty eight minutes when they hit a shot just wide of the left post. Oliver replaced Mazzola shortly after. With the Reds finding it hard to get out of their own half Dave Shannon made a change on seventy one minutes. Charlie Barnett came on for Michael Burns.

The Reds survived two scares in the final ten minutes. On eighty two minutes Threlfall cleared off his own goal line from a Kerry shot destined for the bottom corner. In the final few minutes Peltier was on hand to cap a great performance as he twice kept United at bay single handedly. With three minutes to go he got back beyond Coupe to intercept the ball as he shaped to shoot. Then he was again on and a minute later to snuff out a United attack down the left.

The game was brought to an end and it was all square. The Reds played some decent stuff at times but in the second half especially created virtually nothing apart from the goal. United had a large share of possession and with their size were hard to shake off the ball but they rarely troubled Lancaster in the Reds net. A draw was probably a fair result in truth. The Reds seemed to miss Guthrie in midfield in terms of that extra drive and vision on the day but did well to come back after falling behind.

MotM: Lee Peltier - commanded the back line really well throughout the game and right at the end of the game saved the Reds from defeat with some great last ditch tackles. Up front Hamill and Platt had good games with Platt continuing to look a very elegant player. At the back Woods also played particularly well and recovered from a dodgy period in the first half.

Email your comments to andy@liverweb.org.uk

Get this report and more direct to your inbox by subscribing to Liverweb:


© Andy Philip, Liverweb 2004

View Comments | Post Comment