Reds in Reserve - Liverpool 2 Newcastle United 1

Posted by liverweb on October 26, 2007, 09:53:22 AM

The Reds in reserve scored a deserved 2-1 win over Newcastle at Warrington last night.  The Reds just about did enough to merit the win although Newcastle certainly didn't lie down.

Another sizeable crowd turned up at the Halliwell Jones for the match which saw Harry Kewell play his first match of the season.  Kewell scored the opener before retiring at half time.  His replacement - Jordy Brouwer scored the second and decisive goal in the second half but he limped out late in the match.

Newcastle got the game under way and were boosted in their line up by Shola Ameobi and Celestine Babyaro.

The game started quite scrappily really with neither side grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck.  In fact it took seven minutes before we had some note worthy action when Newcastle fizzed a free kick right across the goal and past the far post for a goal kick.

The Reds went straight up to the other end and nearly scored themselves but Nabir El Zhar saw his shot fly past the wrong side of the near post.

Harry Kewell then started to test his range with a couple of shots.  On nine minutes he hit a dipping shot just over the bar and then a minute later forced Forster in to a save at his near post.

The game was decent enough to watch and the Reds were always the ones looking most likely to score without really testing the keeper.

The opening goal came on the half hour and owed a huge debt to Sebastian Leto.  Leto cut inside from the left and set up Spearing for a shot.  His shot was deflected out for a corner though which Leto ran across to take.  That corner was superbly whipped in and Harry Kewell danced in tot he six yard box to power a header in to what proved an empty net.

Four minutes after the opener Spearing was so close to making it to when Kewell threaded a ball through to him but as he looked like he would get to the ball first t was robbed off his feet by the last defender.

Newcastle grabbed a lifeline in to the match two minutes before half time when Godsmark scored.  Troisi teased and got past Darby on the inside left channel before squaring the ball.  Godsmark saw Huth slip and jinked his way past him before shooting past a helpless Martin.  The striker is one I remember looking decent in last season's Youth cup as well and he certainly proved a menace on the night.

At the start of the second half Jordy Brouwer appeared for Harry Kewell.  I thought Kewell would have played about an hour of the game but he did appear on the bench so I assume he wasn't too injured if at all.  Brouwer took to the field in all I can describe as woeful blue boots!

The Reds looked lively again at the start of the second half.  Leto had a chance four minutes in to the half.  His run had actually taken him down a blind alley but he somehow managed to keep hold of the ball.  As he went to finally shoot though from six yards it was blocked out.

The Reds went back in the lead on fifty two minutes thanks to an awful mess up by Fraser Forster in the Newcastle goal.  Forster looked to grab a Lindfield cross and seemed to have it only to lose it again at the feet of Brouwer who tapped home from four yards out.

The goal gave the Reds a good lift and two minutes later they nearly scored again but Forster this time was on top form as he pushed a Lindfield shot over the bar.

Newcastle made their first switch on the hour mark when Alex Francis replaced Bertram in the back line.  He was involved straight away in what for me was a penalty.  El Zhar was being blatantly pulled in the area but the ref ignored the appeal as El Zhar went down.

As the game ticked on Newcastle only looked likely through Godsmark who was giving Huth and Kelly something to deal with throughout.  The two defenders coped really well though with Kelly looking really assured on what was his reserve team debut.

On seventy five minutes there was a lengthy stoppage as Brouwer went down clutching his ankle.  The Newcastle man nearest him when the challenge went in did seem to lead with his studs a little but if anything Brouwer wimped away from it.  As he was going off he signalled to the bench that he wanted to come off.  It didn't happen though as he was told to run it off.  He did finally get subbed two minutes form time for Ray Putterill who in two minutes plus stoppage time put more effort in to the game than Brouwer has all season.

As the final whistle blew though the Reds were left to take the three points home with them and leave Newcastle with along journey back to the North East.

MotM : Martin Kelly - for a debut he looked calm and assured on the ball whilst tough in the tackle when it mattered.

Liverpool : Martin, Darby (c), Kelly, Huth, Insua, Leto, Kewell (Brouwer 45, Putterill 88), Spearing, Plessis, El Zhar, Lindfield (Pacheco 80)

Unused : Bouzanis, San Jose

Newcastle : Forster, Bertram (Francis 61), Babayaro (Lough 67), Doninger (Danquah 81), Edgar, Morris, Lua Lua, Pattison, Ameobi, Godsmark, Troisi

Unused : Marwood, Patterson

Ref : I Scarr

Att : 3171

Copyright : Liverweb 2007

View Comments | Post Comment