Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 1-0 Manchester United

Posted by AdamS on April 30, 2006, 03:38:57 PM

Liverpool Reserves last home game of the season saw Reserve League North champions Manchester United visit The Racecourse. Despite a good showing against West Brom earlier in the week, Liverpool changed that starting line up with Hobbs coming back into the side and Calliste relegated to the bench. This saw Guthrie facing his former club playing behind Idrizaj in the hole.

The Reds got a deserved one nil victory thanks to a second half goal from Antonio Barragan and completed the double at this level over their fierce rivals.

Liverpool had the best of the opening exchanges with both Anderson and Foy seeing shots miss the target, but they failed to keep the momentum going and United started to force their way into the game.

In the 22nd minute United should have taken the lead when fullback David Gray was clean through on goal. It seemed that he couldn't miss the target as he went to slot the ball into the bottom corner but could only watch in slow motion as he managed to put the ball the other side of the post.

The Mancs were allowing Liverpool no time on the ball and this was making it quite a scrappy affair. Danny Guthrie was looking like Liverpool's best hope as he was consistently making himself available. In the 31st minute he was forced to go alone and he beat two United players before trying to chip the keeper who was off his line. The chip didn't have enough height and the keeper collected with ease.

Just before half time Bez combined well with Foy inside the box. A last ditch tackle on Foy saw the ball bounce out to Peltier who unleashed a venomous shot that seemed destined for the net until it hit a United defender. Half Time 0-0.

As soon as the lads came out for the second half Liverpool began to dominate. They were causing United problem from set pieces and in the 52nd minute a right wing corner nearly saw Liverpool take the lead. Antwi jumped well and his looping header was only just tipped over by Steele.

On the hour mark the ineffective Idrizaj was replaced by Calliste, another former member of the Manc academy, and Liverpool continued to exert pressure. Anderson had an effort from a diving header and great play from Guthrie saw Calliste curl an attempt just wide.

In the 73rd minute the deadlock was broken. Foy took a corner from the left and Hobbs rose to meet it. He was closely marked by Shawcross whose deflected clearance fell to Barragan who hit a powerful half volley first time. The keeper was unsighted and did exceptionally well to get a hand to it, but he was unable to prevent the ball hitting the back of the net. Barragan ran and celebrated right in front of the Manc fans, which I found quite funny.

There was a decent turn out with 1179 being the official attendance. It seems even at this level the classless bastards can't help themselves and we had the de rigueur Michael Shields tannoy announcement.

Both sides had half chances in the remaining minutes and United came close with just seconds remaining. The highly rated Neumayr who'd been kept quiet for most of the game took a free kick from the left wing. The ball was hit hard and low into the box managing to evade everyone and go just wide of Martin's upright. Full Time 1-0.

The ressies just have one game left this season when they travel to Manchester to face City. If they perform like in the last two games then they should be able to sign off with another victory.

Man of the Match: Peltier. He was excellent throughout, won the ball numerous times and never gave it away. Honourable mentions to Guthrie who was again very good and to James Smith who was faultless. Smith's performances this season have been rewarded with a two year extension to his contract and I'm made up for the lad. He really is Mr Consistent.

Liverpool: Martin, Barragan, Smith, Antwi, Roque, Hobbs, Anderson (79, Anderson), Peltier, Idrizaj (60, Calliste), Guthrie (85 Flynn), Foy

© AdamS 2006

View Comments | Post Comment