Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 0 - 0 Bolton

Posted by AdamS on February 9, 2006, 10:07:13 PM

It seems like ages since the reserves have had a home match and with the recent results of the first team the return of the youngsters to The Racecourse came as a welcome distraction. It wasn't just youngsters playing tonight though, Luis Garcia was also in the starting line up as he continues his come back from injury. Also in the starting line up was recent signing Daniel Agger and Jack Hobbs proudly wore the captain's armband in his first season for The Reds.

The visiting Bolton team seemed to be nothing to fear. They sat bottom of the league and had no recognisable names in their starting line up. The game started with Liverpool on top. After three minutes Calliste nearly turned a somewhat speculative cross from Anderson into a goal as he rose brilliantly. His header was directed to close to the keeper though and he gathered with relative ease.

The game's next chance fell to Danny Guthrie 15 minutes later. He received a ball from Luis Garcia on the left wing. He ran at the fullback and cut inside him before releasing a bending shot which looked like it might just curl around the keeper and in but Kazimeiczak did well to tip the ball over.

On 35 minutes Guthrie got a little over excited and shot from twenty five yards when there were probably better options available. Nobody was complaining about his attacking intent though.

Two minutes later and Garcia was heavily involved again. He turned two Bolton defenders inside out in the box as he twisted and turned looking for space. As he found that space he laid on Anderson son who really should have scored. Unfortunately he was unable to live up to his internet uberlegend and his scuffed shot was cleared with comfort.

On 22 minutes Barragan mirrored Guthrie's earlier run. As he came down the right flank he cut in, this time he managed to get the ball back on to his favoured right foot. He opted for power instead, but the result was the same as the Bolton keeper tipped the ball behind for a a corner.

The impressive Guthrie nearly forced Powell into an own goal as his excellent delivery of a free kick from the left wing meant Powell could only get a flick on to the ball he tried to clear. Luckily the Bolton keeper was there again to save his blushes.

At half time Garcia was replaced by Adam Hamill, and this change did little to effect the flow of the game as Liverpool still pressed forward, although quite ineffectively if the truth be told. On 53 minutes Agger came forward for a corner. As Anderson delivered Agger evaded his marker and rose to win the header (much like he did against Birmingham for the first team) unfortunately he headed wide (much like he did against Birmingham for the first team).

It was to be Agger's last action of the match as he was replaced by O'Donnell. With twenty minutes of the second half gone it was Liverpool's first substitute who nearly got on the scoresheet. After good work from Anderson, Hammill received the ball, took one touch and curled a shot back toward goal from outside the keeper's left upright. The ball just failed to do enough and went wide.

Guthrie's was again slightly overenthusiastic on the hour mark as he picked up a loose ball and headed directly for goal. He was a little to direct and ran into a wall of defenders. He still managed to get a shot off but it was weak and straight at the keeper.

Peltier and Hobbs were looking more confident and controlled in midfield in the second period and it was a great ball by Peltier that nearly led to an opening goal for Liverpool. His cross field ball found Calliste with a yard of space in the box. He turned his man but from a tight angle was only able to hit the keeper.

Guthrie was replaced by Bez (Idrajiz) with 18 minutes left. Within five minutes he's nearly won a penalty. He was hauled down as he turned his man but the referee adjudged that the infringement had taken place outside the box.

Peltier nearly scored from the resultant freekick but the keeper again did well diving low to his right. There was only one more moment of incident in what was quite a dull affair. With the clocks ticking down Calliste span his man and was somewhat cynically hacked down, but as he was only mid turn it couldn't really be seen as a professional foul. Peltier took the freekick but could only hit the wall.

Man of the Match: It's hard to pick a man of the match as nobody really stood out. Peltier, Smith, Guthrie and Hobbs were all good, but I'll go for Roque again. He does everything with such calm assurance. Given time the young man from Lieda could be some find.

As the final whistle blew one agonising fan called out "Why is every forward at this club shit?". A touch harsh, but I think we all know where he was coming from.

Liverpool team: Martin, Barragan, Smith, Roque, Agger (53, O'Donnell), Hobbs (capt.), Anderson, Peltier, Calliste, Garcia (45, Hammill), Guthrie (68, Idrijaz)

© AdamS 2006

View Comments | Post Comment